Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs Search
Baylor University is searching for an internal candidate to serve as the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA). The Provost’s office encourages applications and nominations for the position, with a start date in approximately May-July 2023. Application materials and nominations should be sent to the search committee through VPFA_Search@baylor.edu.
Brief Position Description and Duties
The Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA) provides vision and leadership for all aspects of the faculty experience at Baylor to build a culture of excellence, shared governance, inclusion, and holistic support commensurate with a Christian research university. The VPFA is responsible for working alongside the Provost, Vice Provosts, Deans, Department Chairs, and other academic leaders to: 1) lead the University’s effort to recruit, retain, and develop Baylor’s world-class faculty, 2) collaborate with all schools and colleges to direct the faculty interviewing process, 3) oversee the University’s process for promotion and tenure (including faculty of all ranks and designations), 4) develop and implement the University’s policies and procedures related to faculty, and 5) partner with the Faculty Senate and the Provost to ensure shared governance.
Candidates must be tenured and hold the rank of Professor at Baylor. In addition, candidates must have considerable experience (minimum five years) with faculty development and a deep commitment to personal and professional integrity. Specific qualifications for the position include the following:
- Demonstrated commitment to furthering Baylor’s Christian mission.
- Unquestioned personal and professional integrity.
- Experience as a department chair or working closely with department chairs and deans to develop faculty.
- Knowledge of and experience with shared governance and academic policy related to faculty hiring and development.
- Ability to manage confidential and sensitive matters in thoughtful and discerning ways.
- Experience with the tenure and promotion review process.
- Experience working with university policy, especially policy related to faculty
- Experience with teaching, research, and service as a University faculty member.
- Demonstrated commitment to furthering the diversity of Baylor’s faculty.
- A record of scholarly achievement within an academic field in one of the University’s academic units.
- Knowledge of and experience with data-driven decision-making.
Applications and Nominations
To apply, a letter of interest that addresses the position description, duties, and qualifications should be sent to Dr. Wes Null, VPFA Search Committee Chair, at VPFA_Search@baylor.edu. Candidates also should submit an up-to-date curriculum vitae.
In addition to applications, the Search Committee welcomes nominations, which should be sent to VPFA_Search@baylor.edu as well.
For questions about the search, please feel free to reach out to Dr. Null at Wesley_Null@baylor.edu or 254 710 7591.
Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs (VPFA) Search Committee
- Wes Null, Office of the Provost, Chair.
- Matt Cordon, Law School.
- Julie deGraffenried, Department of History.
- Cheryl Gochis, Human Resources.
- Coretta Pittman, Faculty Senate.
- Todd Still, Truett Seminary.
- Lisa Turner, Office of General Counsel.
- Chuck Weaver, College of Arts & Sciences.
|Mid-November 2022||Position posted|
|January 15, 2023||Applications and nominations due|
|January 16, 2023||Search Committee begins to review candidate files|
|Late January-February 2023||Initial round of candidate interviews|
|Late February-March 2023||Finalist candidate interviews|
|March 2023||Final candidate selected|
|May-July 2023||Approximate start date|